Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Ain't That the Way it Goes?"

It's father's day and where is mine to be found but at work. Go figure. Today is very bittersweet for me. I should count my lucky stars I have a dad who is alive and well. One who provides for our family and is loved by the community. One who has the ability to be the best father in the world. But I struggle with this last one almost daily.

Unfortunately, my dad's job required most of his time when we were younger and we mostly only spent Saturday mornings with him. The four of us would wait up as long as we could during the week to give our dad a hug before bed, but most of the time our eyes were closed when he walked in the door. I'm laughing thinking about this one time. We hadn't seen him in almost a week and my younger brother, Tucker, and I made a bet to see who would stay awake and actually see him. The next thing I remember was waking up in my bed: my dad had carried my brother and I's sleepy bodies off the stairs and to our beds.

We all cherished those Saturday mornings. There was an old-style McDonalds complete with storybook detailed pictures, brick walls, and game tables. We would always go there for breakfast just dad and us kids. Our whole Saturday mornings were spent there. I will always cherish those Saturday mornings.

His job has changed slightly over the last year to where he is never on-call anymore. This allows him to go to work and when he gets off, he's really off. But, when someone chooses work over other important things in life, it's hard to get to where you should be with those important things. He is making an effort, but when he's been absent most of my 20 years, it's hard to let him back in. We're getting there. Slowly but surely.

We just finished the tent sale at Baglady Saturday. SO TIRED! We did awesome though...lots of money for AtlantaMart! I am getting soo excited for AtlantaMart.

I finally got new music today...it makes me so happy! Here are a few running through the Chelsea Lifetrack:
How Far Do You Wanna Go? {Gloriana}
Diva {Beyonce}
I'm Letting Go {Francesca Battistelli}
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment