Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cherish These Moments

Today at my internship my adviser approached me about a situation that had come up at the hospital the past few days. It was unsettling as she told me about the baseball player who got hit in the head Tuesday afternoon. As I replay that conversation and the news clips that were played tonight announcing that he was brain dead and would be donating his organs tomorrow, I can't help but have my heart go out to his family and his friends.
A few years ago, my cousin, Chase, was pitching at Conner's College and the hitter swung the ball directly back towards Chase's head. He was hit and blacked out as he fell to the ground. Chase was admitted to the hospital and immediately was rushed into brain surgery. He made it through everything smoothly, thank the Lord. Chase stills plays baseball to this day, but pitches with a special helmet to protect his metal plate they had to put in his head.

I have loved everything about working at the hospital up until this point. I was scared spittless when my adviser sat me down. I had no idea she was going to lay that one on me. It was so sad to have to hear about everything the media team had gone through the past two days to help the family dodge news crews. Thankfully, they all respected the family's situation. Hearing about this gets me thinking: I could be working and someone close to me could be admitted and given the threat of not making it through the week. Patrick woke up Tuesday morning as a normal kid probably dreading a test before gearing up for what was his last baseball game.

In saying all this, I guess I just wanted to say something that's been said many many times before. Cherish these moments, hold dear to the ones you love, and make the most of every second of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment